Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

10.02.2007

Vintage Sari Parasols




I'm not much of a celebrity watcher, but apparently these parasols made from vintage sari panels were used in Elizabeth Hurley's recent wedding. Currently they are available through Jayson Home.

Remember when I mentioned a while back that Kelly Wearstler has a collection of vintage parasols? She told Australian Harper's Bazaar she is highlighting her parasols in the master closet of her family's 1920's Georgian-style estate.



Look at the colorful Tibetan parasols on Todd Romano's tiny beach house patio, as seen in Elle Decor, June-July 2001. Photo by Pieter Estersohn. (For video coverage, see this past post.)

BTW: A portion of the proceeds from the sari parasols, shown top, go to the Learn to Live Foundation, benefiting young women's education in rural India. Visit Rang Decor to see more parasols, and learn a bit about Indian craft.

8 comments:

Arch said...

I remember seeing these vintage sari parasols sometime back and thought they were quite innovative.

In India Pipli Applique work parasols and umbrellas are very famous.

Apart from these there are other styles like the one carried on top of elephants in Kerala during the festive season.
I guess it's only recently that these are finding innovative & interesting uses in a contemporary setting:-)

Thanks for sharing:-)

katiedid said...

HA! Great minds think alike! Thanks for visiting my blog today Courtney! These are so pretty and I remember the Tibetan parasols and wondered where the heck to get one. I love them!

Mackenna said...

I am so glad you posted about his Hampton's cottage again, I had been looking for photos from that and the magazine it had been in.

robyn said...

Love this post and pictures, thanks for the info Courtney :)

Suzy said...

They're amazing. And I can't wait to see what Kelly has done with her new home!

purple said...

Lovely colours!!

Anna said...

These vintage parasols are BEAUTIFUL!! I am using parasols for my birthday lunch next weekend which I am having outside on the lawn! Maybe we'll see Kelly's collection in her next book!!
XO
Anna

The Peak of Chic said...

I think they're beautiful, and I do love the way Todd Romano used them in this setting.