Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

10.03.2007

Style Origins


Todd Romano's patio, as seen in Elle Decor June-July 2001. Photo by Pieter Estersohn.





Now that I have an iPhone, the Todd Romano/Elle Decor video is at my fingertips for a mini escape anytime I'm enduring a long doctor's office visit. Notice how Romano mixes animal prints with bright Palm Beachy colors and Asian touches? I used to think of this look as an East Coast design tradition, or a Tony Duquette invention.



photography © Yann Romain, Flammarion, 2006.

But fashion photographer Yann Romain's book, Tibet Style, opened my eyes to that region's longstanding tradition of mixing leopard with lush embroideries and vivid colors. (In modern day Tibet the practice of using snow leopard skins has become highly controversial.) All the elements I once associated with a Palm Beach grandmother -- chunky coral jewelry, animal prints, ultra-bright hues -- apparently originated in a very different place.


Designer Schuyler Samperton's bedroom, photographed by Grey Crawford for Elle Decor, November 2003.


I've posted this Samperton bedroom a hundred times, but it's a great example of one Westerner's way of using just a touch of leopard print with rich colors and textures. Everything is more subdued.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

absolutely stunning! thank you for sharing these beautiful photos

Style Court said...

Glad you liked these Jessica!

The Peak of Chic said...

Courtney- I think you really tied this all together very well, and I think it's interesting to learn more about the origins as well!

Style Court said...

Thanks Jennifer!

Mélanie said...

What I see in this picture , it is not the leopard but the SUZANI
I st-ill love it