Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

10.09.2007

An Essential: Chairs by Florence de Dampierre



Some think the study of decorative arts is frivolous but, depending on how it is examined, a pretty Louis XV chair be enlightening. Furniture historian Florence de Dampierre proves this with her epic, Chairs: A History, published a year ago this month.

Using chairs as a jumping off point, she takes readers on a journey through world history, from ancient Egypt, Africa and China to present day. Every type of chair or stool ever known seems to be covered. I think Dampierre researched the book for about a decade, so it truly is an amazing resource for designers and collectors. What do you think of the chair that made the cover?

2 comments:

Mackenna said...

this book has helped me so much in addition to my textbooks for my history of design class

Brilliant Asylum said...

I love this book--and actually bought it last year after seeing it here on Style Court. Chairs will always be fascinating to me. I think each style sums up an entire movement of design. Know your chairs, and you will be an expert at the history of design--and history in general.