Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.04.2007

Viceroy Miami



Above is a model suite for the Kelly Wearstler-designed Viceroy Miami, scheduled to open in 2009. If someone had described to me the use of this large-scale work (Audubon or Audubon-esque? Martin Johnson Heade-inspired?) as a focal point behind the bed, I might have thought it sounded dreadful. But seeing it, I think it's very successful. An interesting riff on old-school resort art (bird prints.)

After a while, designing solely to be unexpected becomes expected, so I think it is fascinating to see how KWID projects are evolving -- melding classic and modern elements in a fresh, glamorous package.

4 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

I almost always "scale up." Her look is continuing to stay fresh. Thanks for the peek.

franki durbin said...

interesting observation - "designing solely to be unexpected becomes expected" - about KWID. It will be interesting to see how she continues to evolve and succeed. I want so desperately to dislike her, but she has a freshness to her designs that is undeniable. And I always love a talented artist!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I am so excited about her new hotel projects. I guess the new Tides will be ready in a few days too.

katiedid said...

Love a peak at a new Wearstler project. I agree with Frankie!