Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.07.2007

Parlangerie II




The tiny pillow above reads: "May you live long and eat many pickles, and marry the man who has the most nickles -- Guess who." Angele Parlange found this note in a very old family album and had the original handwriting copied exactly onto plain fabric. One day she is at Kinko's, the next Tory Burch.



Below, Parlange found a set of plaster cameos at a Sag Harbour tag sale and got the idea to have them set into a concrete slab -- dyed green -- that was later set atop a custom-made iron base to be used as her stain-proof coffee table.


All photography © William Waldron, Harper Collins, New York, 2006.

I've talked before about chic Southerner Angele Parlange, and her book, Creole Thrift. But I find myself returning to it when I need to smile. (Angele's humorous and tender stories alone are worth the purchase price.)

Parlange loathes decorating trends, although she is a fan of Madeline Weinrib and John Robshaw. For her, humour, conversation pieces and soul are immensely important in a home. I've taken inspiration from some of her ideas (others are a bit too whimsical for me.) Mainly, I relate to her many adventures in decorating. There's also in the book a vivid sense of Angele actually living and throwing cocktail parties in her apartment -- something that often doesn't come through in design books. If you're in a book store this weekend, thumb through a copy.

7 comments:

franki durbin said...

your post really captures that sense of adventure! I love the wordingon the pillow - ha! Talk about whimsy and spunk. If I am anywhere near a bookstore I will certainly be looking for a copy of that book...

Cote de Texas said...

I didn't know there was a second book. Thanks for the tip. I loved the first book, not for the design, but for her writings - the stories about her youth are fascinating to me. Since my husband is 1/2 pure de Cajun, my daughter is 1/4 pure Louisiana and I'm in love with the state and it's cultures. The minute our car crosses over from Texas to LA, something changes It's exactly like being in a foreign country. the most interesting and exotic state in the U.S.

style court said...

Joni,

It's still just the first book, but my second or third post on it :)

Thanks for sharing your personal connections and insights!

Laura said...

I think this book sounds wonderful; exactly my idea of decorating--eschewing trends in favor of personal style. I may have to make a trip to the bookstore today!

Bueller said...

That pillow is genius!

lgray said...

Is the calling card fabric by Angele Parlange still available anywhere? I have been trying to locate some in order to re-cover an old French chair of mine.

Style Court said...

Hi Igray, I'm not sure if it is but http://carolynquartermaine.com has a similar script fabric.