Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.09.2007

More Hippie Luxe



One-of-a-kind suzani-covered chaise from ABC Carpet and Home, as seen in Vogue Living 2006.

I realize many of you are probably reaching your saturation point with these suzani-related posts, but my rediscovery of the Amelia Handegan bedroom (below with bright pink suzani) has further ignited my passion for these embroidered textiles used in trad interiors. Last year, Vogue Living editor Carolina Irving included this vividly colored chaise, above, in the magazine's gift guide. Wouldn't it look amazing in a femme bedroom? An interesting alternative to the suzani coverlet. Very Summer of Love.


Image originally appeared in Southern Accents, July-August 2003; photo by Pieter Estersohn.



Above, from a past post, Jacqueline Kennedy's 1960s dress by Joan Morse. Hamish Bowles says the piece is prototypical hippie-deluxe. Made from a length of metallic silk brocade presented to Jackie by King Saud, the dress combined the first lady's taste for the exotic with her classic refinement. It was included in the exhibit, Jacqueline Kennedy: The White House Years.

Below, Lee Radziwell and Jacqueline Kennedy ride elephant, Jaipur 1962.



Below, 1960s "It Girl," Penelope Tree on a pile of Indian textiles, photographed by David Bailey for Vogue, February 1969.



Below, Moroccan fantasy vignette created by Elle Decor for the annual DIFFA fundraiser, Dining By Design, 2007. This event is coming to Atlanta, October 24-25; photo by Joshua McHugh.



Below, Vivre's exclusive pillow from Ankasa: hand-painted silk-velvet with ikat diamond motif edged in hand-embroidered silk.



Below, a vintage Chippendale-style wing chair covered in suzani-inspired fabric from Travers, available through Coup D'Etat.



My favorite related reading: Bright Flowers: Textiles And Ceramics Of Central Asia.

16 comments:

beachbungalow8 said...

oh you can never do enough on indian inspired textiles. i, for one, LOVE them. they're timeless, chic and exotic-but not too, too.

one of my absolute faves it raoul textiles. so many stunning fabrics.

Style Court said...

I totally feel the same way about Raoul!!

Brilliant Asylum said...

I agree. I can never tire of these textiles--especially accompanied by your inspiring collection of images.

Style Court said...

BA,

Glad they are inspiring :)

Suzy said...

Great post - that Jackie O dress is fantastic!

Jackie Von Tobel said...

For the love of Bohemia! The chaise from ABC Home is fab. It has a very updated look to it - not so rustic. Very nice.
Jackie

Arch said...

I love the chaise from ABC Carpet & Home:-)

Love the beautiful bright colours and patterns:-)

Thanks for sharing:-)

Arch

Style Court said...

Suzy, yes it's an amazing dress!

Style Court said...

Arch, Jackie,

Glad you like it :)

Bhavna said...

Oh my! Such beautiful fabric and images! I had to keep looking again and again..

Great post...I am sure to find some treasure when I drop by your blog :)

Style Court said...

thanks bhavna!

J's Crew said...

Love the chaise and the Jackie O dress, both are to die for!

Laura said...

The Jackie O. dress was my favorite from the exhibit! I love how you pulled it in as an example of combinng the exotic with beautiful tailoring.

Style Court said...

thanks laura!

Laura said...

I just found your post to be so inspiring--I never tire of these textiles, either, and I love how you pulled all these elements together. I saw the Jackie O. exhibit, and talk about inspiring!!! So many of her dresses seemed to tell a story of their own.

Style Court said...

Laura,
Glad you liked this one :)