Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.10.2007

Mira Nair Colors


The vibrant greens and oranges (and chinoiserie theme) of this 19th century Chamberlains' Worcester "Bengal Tiger" cup and saucer embody English Regency style, as well as the look of Mira Nair's film, Vanity Fair. "Bengal Tiger" available through Walker McIntyre Antiques.



Images © Mira Nair, Vanity Fair: Bringing Thackeray's Timeless Novel to the Screen, Newmarket Press, 2004 .

Sumptuous was the word used in promotions for director Mira Nair's 2004 film, Vanity Fair. I think the description is spot-on. Brilliant Chinese-reds, rich peacock-blues, and India's vibrant greens and oranges permeate the movie. Nair took her cues from the period: Regency England, an era when Britain's aesthetic was inspired by its global colonial outposts, and the Prince of Wales, George IV, built his exotic pleasure palace at Brighton.

Just because of its luscious colors, Vanity Fair is a great film to watch for ideas -- related to parties or decorating -- late summer through the holidays.







Above, this English ottoman upholstered in Peter Dunham's large-scale Indian-inspired print would look at home in Vanity Fair. Available through Coup D'Etat.

10 comments:

Janet said...

Gorgeous post ~ I love the tea cup!!!

robyn said...

Really lovely last 2 posts, I am so into the whole India thing through all of the great styles lately. Loved the Vanity Fair movie for all the beautiful set decorations too! Thanks :)

Style Court said...

Oh good Janet, I'm so glad :)

Style Court said...

Thanks Robyn!

Brilliant Asylum said...

That India-themed party in Vanity Fair was to die for beautiful. Thanks for reminding me!

melissa @ the inspired room said...

Wow, I can't believe I don't have you on my favorite places list yet! You have such lovely things for inspiration. Thank you! I love finding new places to visit, and you will definitely be one of my favorites.

Melissa

Style Court said...

Thanks Melissa!

The Peak of Chic said...

I've read the book but have not seen the movie! So... I think I need to do so now :)

ALL THE BEST said...

love the cup and saucer!!!!!

Sarah Jennings said...

Great pictures for this post. I especially love the scalloped nailhead trim on the ottoman!