Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.24.2007

Inspired By Matisse


"Algue rouge sur fond bleu ciel," Henri Matisse's paper cut-out, executed in 1952. This work sold for £624,000, through Christie's, February 2005.

One of the most magical experiences I ever had involved a private late night viewing of a large Matisse exhibition (a great perk of being a docent). Seeing the artist's energetic work up-close, in an empty museum, was mesmerizing. I can't imagine what it was like for the clients of Sister Parish, Albert Hadley and Billy Baldwin, who lived everyday with original Matisse's, Picasso's and Gauguin's.




Above, this Sister Parish print, "Burma," is I think intended to resemble Indian hand-blocked fabric, but the repeating design also reminds me of Matisse's iconic, abstract frond of seaweed.



A few weeks ago, I posted this Matisse-inspired chocolate-and-white pillow from Pieces.

Related reading: Matisse, His Art and His Textiles.

15 comments:

annechovie said...

I love Matisse's work and his fearless use of color and bold graphics. I didn't realize he was a "scissors" guy as well, though! Love that piece!

Jackie Von Tobel said...

I love Matisse. I saw his collages at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in San Francisco this summer. The exhibit was highlighted with huge images of Matisse in his wheelchair cutting out paper shapes. He was surrounded by piles and piles of paper cuttings on the floor. How lucky of you to see them up close.
Jackie

Paola said...

That top image would make the most wonderful rug...

Style Court said...

Jackie,

Sounds like you saw a wonderful exhibition. Wish I'd seen it. I can never get enough Matisse :)

The Peak of Chic said...

Great comparison b/n the Matisse cutout and the "Burma" print!

patricia gray said...

I love the Sister Parish print Burma. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Style Court said...

Patricia,

Glad you like it :)

Things That Inspire said...

What a beautiful post. I love how you linked all of these. I grew up with Matisses on the walls of my playroom....posters!....so I have a fondness for this master of contemporary art.

Did someone post the name of the fabric that was used in that Pieces pillow? Was it something from Schumacher?

Style Court said...

Hmm...I think House of B & C might have commented on this fabric. Let me backtrack...

Style Court said...

Oh, and thanks for sharing your playroom memories! Love it!

Mackenna said...

Speaking of Matisse-y fabrics have you seen the adverts for the Kirk Brummel (thru Bruschwig & Fils) fabrics? There is one in the October House Beautiful for sure... anyway, the model in the ad is wearing one of the fabrics as a dress and has a very similar cutout deal in yellow and red, and they also made a little doggie outfit for her french bulldog. worth a look.

Style Court said...

MacKenna,

Thanks for the tip. I'll look for it.

Things That Inspire said...

I think the fabric on the pillow is Temple Garden Jamie Drake for Schumacher.

Cote de Texas said...

Check out the room for Kips that Bunny did a few years back. What made the room most notable was the chairs upholstered in the matisse inspired fabric. I wish you could scan pictures in the comments sections!!! Great post, Courtney, as always.

Joni

Style Court said...

Oh yes, Joni, thanks for the reminder!