Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.09.2007

Indian Summer



Images above are from Hollywood Style; photography © Tim Street-Porter, Rizzoli New York, 2004.

Peter Dunham's terrace couldn't be more perfectly outfitted for the weeks ahead, when the weather is still steamy but we are ready for the spicier colors of fall. His chaises-longues are vintage Kreiss Collection, covered of course in his signature Indian prints, and the bar is draped with a vintage suzani.



I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: Hollywood Style, by Diane Dorrans Saeks, is a surprisingly good resource. For a long time I passed over this one because I assumed it focused on movie stars. But the emphasis is on L.A.'s top designers, with a few landmark residences such as Tony Duquette's Dawnridge and Frank Lloyd Wright's La Miniatura in the mix. Saeks highlights the full range of L.A. style, from layered classics to the sleekest modern houses, disproving the myth that L.A. has no design legacy.

6 comments:

robyn said...

Great photo and terrace. Diane's books are really well done. I have more than a few of them. She lives in SF and I've met her a few times. I don't have the Hollywood book but I think I'll check it out.
Thanks Courtney :)

style court said...

Robyn,

How nice that you've met her. I love SF Style too. Great book. Many timeless, not-so-huge houses. Very inspirational :)

Cote de Texas said...

Weird! I just pulled this book out of the shelf and put it in my car to look at while in Starbuck's line. This is a truly beautiful book. Great minds think alike! :)

Style Court said...

Joni,

I bet you love the Stamps' home, Suzanne Rheinstein's of course and the Michael Smith project :)

frances said...

i can't believe i have always passed over that book! i love that terrace. and i will always have room for a little hippy!

The Peak of Chic said...

I have just got to get this book- esp. if Suzanne Rheinstein is in it!