Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.05.2007

I Married Adventure



Despite doing a couple of posts on the two books used most by stylists and decorators: Diana Vreeland's Allure and Osa Johnson's I Married Adventure, I've never tired of either and finally ordered a vintage copy of Johnson's book for myself. Oh-so-helpful Lynn over at Paris Hotel Boutique is sending it my way.


Image above, courtesy Brilliant Asylum.


On his shelves, Miles Redd has Johnson's first title and her giraffe-covered sequel, Four Years in Paradise.


Image courtesy of Megan Samuels.

Several bloggers, including Beach Bungalow 8 and Habitually Chic, have shared how they incorporate the zebra-bound tome in their tablescapes. I also plan to post a picture or two when my edition arrives, and I'll invite everyone who has the book to share thoughts on the cover and contents (I'm curious to read it) as well as images.

14 comments:

Wes said...

I just love the title, I married adventure, Just makes you want to read it.

style court said...

Wes,

I agree :)

Habitually Chic said...

I LOVE I Married Adventure, not only because the cover is beautiful but because the story is beautiful as well. I bet most designers who own it have never read it and they're missing out. I'm on the look out for the sequel, Four Years in Paradise now. It's a hard one to find but I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

style court said...

Thanks for the insight HC!

BTW, Paris Hotel Boutique has Four Years :) At least they did a few hours ago.

Jackie Von Tobel said...

These must be among the most photographed books of all time! I see them everywhere. I just wish I had copies of my own. Oh well - Two more things to add to a long list.
Jackie

Bhavna said...

The name of the book is catchy! Waiting for you to share images from the book when you get your copy :)

Marissa said...

i want them! they're on my list of books to buy. thanks for the recommendations.

charlie's mom said...

My dogs keep eating my chic coffee table books. Winess: That gorgeous David Hicks book in such good condition above, my John Saladino book, and a great Elsa Schiappareli book are all still great reads, but look lousy on display. Weep.

robyn said...

Oh, this is really nice.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Ok--I just posted my photo.
: )

patriciagrayinc.com said...

So there are two books in the Osa Johnson repertoire and I don't even have one. The covers are interesting and sounds like the inside is too.

Habitually Chic said...

Thanks for the heads up about Four Years in Paradise being available from Paris boutique. I know you like her site but she was charging $145! I love old books but I have limits as to what I will pay for them. I found it on Alibris for $30 and just placed my order. I can't wait to read the next installment!

franki durbin said...

time to order a few tomes for my decor! I agree...it's the story inside as much (or moreso) than the cover...but it doesn't hurt that she selected a saucy cover design! ;)

d&l said...

What great books to have at your disposal.
thanks for sharing their names.
d&l
http://www.shopshelbylynn.blogspot.com