Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

9.08.2007

Adventurous Spirit: Temple St. Clair








All photography, Eric Piasecki as seen in Elle Decor September 2006.

I was happy to read that the home of fellow Southerner Temple St. Clair Carr is supposed to be included in the upcoming book, Elle Decor so Chic: Glamorous Lives, Stylish Places, from Filipacchi. Temple St. Clair, a globe-trotting jewelry designer, has an unpretentious but sophisticated home filled with layers of meaning. Family antiques, exquisite objects collected on her travels, and contemporary pieces all mingle happily together, in an uncontrived way. It's the "anti-decorator" house.



BTW: For more globe-trekker chic, visit the Dorothy Methvin McClatchey collection, on permanent view at Fernbank Museum. (Located in a stately old residential neighborhood, Druid Hills, Fernbank is a great Sunday afternoon destination.) McClatchey traveled the world with her husband collecting jewelry and decorative arts, and donated over 500 objects from Central and Southeast Asia, Africa, Europe and Melanesia to the museum, which are now seen in Reflections of Culture.

7 comments:

robyn said...

Love the style in all of the rooms you posted, really nice post!

style court said...

Thanks Robyn!

annechovie said...

Beautiful and well-chosen photos and great topic, as usual! I am really into the whole anti-decorator look. So much more personalized, unique and artistic than the standard matchy-matchy look that is so boring and trite.

Style Court said...

Anne,

Glad you liked this one :)

Sarah Jennings said...

There are so many details about these pictures that I love...the sea fan on the chest (I tried to display a sea fan once, but the smell got to me!), the beautiful long console and tall mirror in the dining room, and the blue color of the sofa in the last picture.

decorno.blogspot.com said...

Oooh, I had forgotten about this one. I am so glad you posted this. Her home is so relaxed but still refined. I love it.

The Peak of Chic said...

I had forgotten about this home too, and I don't know why b/c it's so interesting! Thanks for reminding me (and I'm excited about the new book too).