Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.01.2007

William Haines Lamps II



"Design is an opinion, not a profession," once quipped actor-turned decorator, William Haines. The Virginia-born tastemaker had especially strong views on lighting: intriguing custom lamps, often made with museum quality figures as a base, were his signature. Chinoiserie figures and horse-heads seemed to be favorites of Haines. Recently, Beuller Designs found a great pair of Haines-esque lamps at the Venice, California store, Turquoise. I like how she incorporated them in her home, below.



It would be fun to turn vintage horse-head bookends into similar lamps.

Related past posts: Billy Haines and Billy Haines To-Die-For Coffee Table.

6 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

I think that's a good idea about incorporating a bookend into a lamp. There is an interesting brass duck lamp on 1st dibs- looks a bit like a bookend. The shade, though, takes it from LL Bean territory into glam.

robyn said...

This is one of my favorite photographs that you've posted, the top one of the table setting and the chinese lamp, gorgeous base, shade etc. I love the grays also. It's just perfect!

katiedid said...

Oh, I just love the photo above! It looks like a B&W photo with just the plant in green. Beautiful.

Opera Glass said...

Hello Stylecourt! I've enjoyed your blog for a while now and have been very pleased to read so many of your posts as I think we have similar taste.

I'm not sure how I feel about these lamps though. I know that they're popular, but I just can't seem to like most of the ones I've seen. Oh well. That horse head looks like a very stylized version of one of the horses on The Parthenon.

style court said...

Opera,

Thanks for the kind words! As for the lamps, design is very subjective :)

beachbungalow8 said...

i agree with the subjectivity of the subject! shine home offers a modern version of that horse lamp. great photos.