Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.10.2007

Inspired By Bibliostyle






Images above, copyright Tiffany & Co. Click to see details.

When Jennifer, a.k.a. Bibliostyle, described her first vintage book acquisition, Tiffany Table Settings, I instantly wanted a copy for my own library. Happily, I spotted the out-of-print book the other day at Interiors Market.

Sort of a precursor to Dining By Design, Tiffany Table Settings is filled with vignettes styled by top 1950's-60s era designers, using Tiffany's fine wares. (Jennifer highlighted the best of the best: Baldwin, Vreeland, Parish.)

Above, I've just added a few settings that I think would be fun to replicate today. Actually that's what Tiffany's intended. Far less flamboyant than Dining By Design tables, Tiffany's "exquisitely tasteful arrangements" were meant to be copied by hostesses across the U.S.

Shown top: terrace luncheon in sun colors with John Vesey furniture -- those tiny black basalt cups hold yellow daisies mixed with cigarettes; middle image: birthday party on lofty New York terrace; last image: child's birthday luncheon features monkeys on a candy-cane jungle gym.

5 comments:

Suzy said...

I love the outdoor table setting in the 2nd image - how fun!

Alison said...

Daisies-n-Cigs......wow.

Reminds me of the set of 40 bridge lunch sets (cups/plates) I inherited from my Great Grandmother.

I kid you not....the top right corner of each fabulously lovely, glass, rectangular shaped lunch plate is designed as a "built-in" ashtray. Another corner for the coffee cup, with the remaining area for chicken salad and cucumber sandwiches.....

The times have changed.....yes?!? Cheers, Alison

The Peak of Chic said...

I'm so glad you like this book. So many of the settings are ones that look just as fresh today. Wouldn't it be fun to create your own table setting at Tiffany's?!

style court said...

Jennifer, yes!

beachbungalow8 said...

oooh. another book to hunt down!