Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.26.2007

Headboard Options


Photo above by Gemma Comas for Domino, January/February 2006.

For the fabric-obsessed, an upholstered headboard offers an opportunity to use a beloved print in a way that is less costly than covering a whole sofa or wing chair. But this option is a big commitment. Usually a boldly patterned headboard leaves little freedom for changing other elements in a bedroom down the road.

A solid linen headboard though, like Krista Ewart's below, provides graphic punch and versatility.


Photo above by Melanie Acevedo for Domino, June/July 2007.

The same goes for Lee Kleinhelter's tufted-white headboard, below. It is glamorous and flexible.


Photo by Tim Street-Porter for Cottage Living, October 2006.

Striped headboards can be a compromise between a lavish floral and a plain solid. And of course, a fabric-covered screen (or a handsome leather one) can be used in lieu of a headboard, then later moved to another setting.


Photo above by Max Kim-Bee for Domino, June 2006.

To me, half the fun is the hunt for an exciting piece. If you're interested in open-work wood screens or panels, Mandarin Antiques in Atlanta is a great place to explore.

15 comments:

katiedid said...

All fun examples! I have a white slipcovered headboard in my guest room which I can drape another peice of fabric, or a throw over for more color. AND the slipcover is washable! I think you are right that a print fabric is a commitment that I cannot afford to replace as often as my moods might change.

robyn said...

I love this post Courtney, I'm big on padded headboards, we have them in every bedroom in SF in one variation or another! Love the photograph with the converse peaking out from under the chair...

style court said...

Katie, great tip on the white! Thanks!

style court said...

Robyn, good to know :) Thanks!

ALL THE BEST said...

I love that first photo Courtney. A new headboard is also on my list...more fabric choices!

Mélanie said...

I love this post . I love upholstery as my dad is an upholsterer but for me headbord is a good place to use upholstery . It can give a sense to a bedroom ..

style court said...

Melanie,

How great to have an upholsterer in the family!

Habitually Chic said...

I think an upholstered headboard is defintely the way to go esp. in a guestroom. Guests should be able to sit up comfortably and read in bed. And I love Katie's suggestion of slipcovers. They are the perfect idea to change out fabrics for the different seasons.

Brilliant Asylum said...

Love the top photo option. The modern lamp and mirrored side table keep the floral pattern from looking to precious.

annechovie said...

I love tufted and upholstered headboards, but the covenience and versatility of a slipcover could almost trump that. Mine is a white slipcover and I love it for practicality and comfort. I'm a bit of a a germaphobe, too, so it's great to be able to wash it frequently.

The Peak of Chic said...

All of these options are very striking, but in terms of comfort my choice would be an upholstered headboard. The slipcover idea is a good one!

style court said...

Everyone,

Thanks! Keep the helpful insights coming.

girl meets glamour said...

These are all great options,I have to say that I love a white headboard with tufting or nailheads. Great post Courtney!

~Kate

frances said...

the pic of the lee kleinhelter's bedroom is one of my favorites, i even emailed it to my husband when we were thinking about our bedroom. we actually have an upholstered headboard in gray hair on hide...random, but fun!

Anna said...

I'm a bit late with my thoughts, sorry Courtney! But I love an upholstered headboard - love the loose cover idea but I have loved that black and white Krista Ewart bed head since it came out in Domino. I think a headboard finishes a bed and adds comfort. Can't wait to see what you end up deciding on.
X
Anna