Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

8.02.2007

Blanc de Chine


Above, bedroom with blanc de chine lamp as seen in Domino, February 2007.



Interior design above, Betsy Burnham; photo by Lisa Romerein, as seen in the Fall 2005 issue of InStyle Home. Note the pagoda lamp.



Above, a vignette with blanc de chine in Megan's home.


Blanc De Chine: Divine Images in Porcelain



Above, one of a pair of white porcelain lamps with charcoal drum shades, from Pieces.

You don't really need me to state the obvious: blanc de chine (a French term for undecorated white porcelain originally made in China during the 17th and 18th centuries) is chic again. Whether it's a repro from Anthropologie or a museum quality piece from Christie's, these pale ceramics appeal to many. I'm already forming a Christmas wish-list of related books. The title above I've mentioned before, but the (unfortunately pricey) volume, Blanc de Chine: History and Connoisseurship Reviewed, is an exciting new find.

12 comments:

lee said...

Hi Courtney,

Thanks for including our lamp! Hope your doing well. We just got a huge shipment in. I'll send you photos once we get everything priced. Your blog looks great. Love the chair rendering!

Take care,
Lee

style court said...

Thanks Lee! Looking forward to it!

Suzy said...

I love that lamp at the top - it's gorgeous. Where is it from?

style court said...

Suzy,

Sorry I don't know!

The Peak of Chic said...

I can't wait to see what other books you're adding to your Christmas wish-list! Do share once you've compiled it!

katiedid said...

Oh Courtney! I love the revamp! I need to get it together and just get a banner. It looks great.

Love the blanc de chine also!

Sarah Jennings said...

My grandmother must have been very chic in her time, because she was a big fan of blanc de chine and lacquer. Great post!

style court said...

thanks katie!

robyn said...

Wow, it looks so great, love this post too!

Laura said...

Have you posted other photos of the Betsy Burnham-designed home from InStyle Home before? I misplaced that issue, but I really liked that feature.

As always, you have found great examples here!

style court said...

Robyn, thanks!

Laura, yes I have :)

Julie at BV said...

I love that first room with those colors.