Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.01.2007

Steven Gambrel's Ottoman



Above and below, interiors designed by Steven Gambrel, with what seems to be his signature ottoman. Photo top by Michael Mundy, as seen in House & Garden, January 2005



Photo above by William Waldron for Elle Decor, March 2005.



A reader is trying to track down a quote from Steven Gambrel. She recalls the designer recently said somewhere that he almost always has an ottoman made for his clients, and she is searching for the dimensions he specified. I've looked through a few of my tear sheets but haven't yet found the quote. Does anyone remember it?

Shown here, above, is the style ottoman he seems to use most often, in various incarnations. Below is a great little bench that Gambrel covered in KWID's reversible "Emerald Cut," in the lotus/ivory combination.



Above, photo by David Nicolas for Domino, April 2006.

5 comments:

ALL THE BEST said...

I wish I did know the dimensions he specified, I will look through some of my files and binders. I want a new ottoman and I love the size of the ones in the photos.

kcdesign said...

Um..Gambrel is the only designer who has his own file in my drawer - but I cannot find the dimensions. I know I missed a Domino spread - and perhaps one in Cottage Living. Good luck!

The Peak of Chic said...

I don't remember this either. I missed the one in Cottage Living (only saw a reprint of one photo in the special edition), but I'll look through my file too.

Anonymous said...

I just emailed Steven the link, he writes back: "the size of every ottoman I do is 36” x 36” by 18” high perhaps that will help!"

style court said...

Thanks Anon!