Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.09.2007

Bunny Williams: Soft-Spoken Drama


Remember this amazing Pieter Estersohn photo of Bunny Williams' bedroom from Elle Decor? The mirrored bed is 1930s; the embroidered headboard is Indian. If you appreciate Indian embroidery, you may enjoy visiting the Calico Museum of Textiles.



Above is a photo, by Fritz von der Schulenberg, of the island home Bunny Williams shares with antique dealer husband, John Rosselli (as seen in Town & Country). This view will apparently be used for the cover of Williams' upcoming book, as reported by Bibliostyle. (See below.)



Stewart, Tabori and Chang is scheduled to release Bunny Williams' Point of View: Three Decades of Decorating Elegant and Comfortable Houses in October. I think the book's cover is especially strong; that white mirror flanked by symmetrical framed panels, and the striped floor, have a sort of soft-spoken graphic impact. (Love the white ceramic elephant too.)

Update: Cote de Texas also recently mentioned that Williams' island house will be seen on the new book cover. I just caught this and wanted to give her a little shout-out.

More design connections: Jennifer, a.k.a. Bibliostyle, and The Peak of Chic, notes that Miles Redd selected for himself a mirrored bed very similar to that of his former boss, Bunny Williams. Photo below by Paul Costello for House & Garden, January 2005.

13 comments:

patriciagrayinc.com said...

I can hardly for Bunny Williams book to be released. I was just reading last night in Albert Hadley's book that she started her career working for Parish-Hadley firm as did a few other well known designers. The room on the cover of this book has a lot of the same design sensibilities that I see looking back on the work of Albert Hadley. Thanks for the post.

girl meets glamour said...

Gorgeous bedroom!!! I will be keeping my eyes out for this book in October.

The Peak of Chic said...

Didn't Miles Redd copy Bunny's bed for his own bedroom? And I truly can't wait for her new book to come out.

style court said...

Jennifer, yes as usual you've got the scoop. I think Redd started as a shopper/designer with Bunny Williams :)

katiedid said...

Definately a book to add to my library! The room on the cover is so beautiful.

tiffany said...

stupid question, but if I don't have a designer, is there any way that I get some of the designer fabrics? I'm dying for that KWID Imperial trellis and some of the others you've listed. I'm always seeing stuff that I want that is only "to the trade" but financially, can't justify hiring a designer at this point in my life. I am addicted to your blog btw!

style court said...

Tiffany,

Barbara Karpf is a decorator who has started an online business, http://decoratorsbest.com, just for those who want buy trade-only fabric. She was featured in the NY Times. Also Quadrrille has a section on its site for the general public.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the sweet words!

Courtney

Anna said...

Beautiful room, I especially love the mirror and the blue and white Chinese drum stool.
XO
Anna

Cote de Texas said...

Hi, thanks for the shout out! Love that! It's nice that being eagle eyed gets noticed every so often. Beautiful blog, every post is wonderful!

Joni

style court said...

thanks for the sweet words joni!

Katey said...

I'd love to find a rug like the one on the cover of Bunny William's new book. Does anyone have any ideas? Google and ebay searches haven't returned anything close. :(

style court said...

Katey, try Wisteria.com

Katey said...

Wow, that was spot on! Thanks!