Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

7.12.2007

Elegant D.I.Y.




Interior design above, Tom Scheerer, as seen in Elle Decor.

I suspect Tom Scheerer has few clients who sew their own curtains or silver-leaf a king-size four-poster bed, but that's what Melissa Sellars did, according to Elle Decor. Her ethereal bedroom really proves that, with a sophisticated eye and restraint, a little D.I.Y. can yield supremely elegant results.

Apart from the D.I.Y. aspect, I think this room is intriguing because elements usually associated with American Country style -- the Shaker-style bed, the tall secretary -- were given a glamorous makeover, then paired with a few modern pieces, and it all works.



Shown above is Sellars in her Brooklyn townhouse, with her son and his friend. A reader is trying to locate the small open woven piece under the side table (behind the boy with guitar). I no longer have the whole issue -- only these tear sheets from Elle Decor. It was a holiday issue from, I think, six or seven years ago. Does anyone know more?

Update 7.15.07
A very kind reader, Katherine, sent me this message regarding the past holiday Elle Decor issue, "I have it!! It's the Dec./Jan. 2001 issue. I saved it specifically for this article! ... It appears to be a stool as it is closed on top. Unfortunately, it is not credited in the article or resources."

6 comments:

katiedid said...

Lovely! The colors and elements are so restful.

The Peak of Chic said...

I ordered an old holiday issue a few weeks back and I just got it (I think it was from 5 years ago? I can't remember).I'll look through it tonight and see if it is possibly in there.
PS- I love like the way they treated the Shaker style furniture.

style court said...

Jennifer, great!!

The Peak of Chic said...

Well, no such luck. My issue was Dec/Jan '02, but no Tom Scheerer :( I'll keep looking though.

style court said...

POC,

Thanks for trying!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

really lovely. so impressed by her diy capabilities.