Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

6.07.2007

Taschen at Sam Flax


Above, Steven Gambrel papered an entire bath with pages from Taschen's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities. Photograph by William Waldron for Elle Decor, June/July 2004.




Sam Flax Atlanta, the brick-and-mortar art supply store located at 1460 Northside Drive, has a great selection of books published by Taschen. There are stacks of the mammoth editions, The World of Ornament, and Atlas Major, as well as the inexpensive ($9.99) Icon series, including China Style.

If any of the larger pricey volumes are on your wish list, it's so helpful to peruse the books in person. I'm still thinking about adding Ornament to my library. It comes with a DVD-ROM of high-resolution images of individual ornaments that may be reproduced without copyright restrictions. To reach Sam Flax Atlanta call (404) 352-7200.

11 comments:

girl meets glamour said...

What fun idea. Thanks for the info and inspiration :)

a. said...

I love the Cabinet of Natural Curiosities. Thanks for the heads up on the ornament book!

Fairfax said...

WOW! If you like using copyright free images, you can sign up for Dover publishing's e-mail of samples. I use them in my graphics work a lot!

style court said...

girl, a.,

glad you liked this :)

style court said...

Fairfax, thanks!

casapinka said...

Yes! That bathroom is great.

The Peak of Chic said...

I wasn't aware Sam Flax carried these books. May need to make a trip over there this weekend!

katiedid said...

I will be putting those books on my list! Love the bathroom.

elisabeth said...

I LOVE the bathroom. Reminds me of a house in the Hamptoms that was featured in NYT House and Home a few years back -- all walls of mullion windows and the kitchen cabinets (or under-cabinets?) were papered in the same or similar. I also recall seeing a bathroom papered in sheets of paper from Neue Gallerie. Love the idea of using sheets of decorative paper in lieu of wallpaper.

becky said...

OH my gosh, I cut that photo of that bathroom out years ago and it keeps resurfacing (though I've never gotten those tear-sheet books together, I've never thrown it out in a flurry of organizing).

It was actually my first intro to the Cabinet. I noticed the cheaper version of the book (Taschen, I believe) at Border's on sale for $19.99 over Xmas this year and picked up an extra just in case I ever get the chance to completely copycat that bathroom! Back when the book was $200, I couldn't imagine cutting it up!

Becky

Kelly said...

As a graphic designer, I am also a big fan of these books. I've decorated my office with them just to add an extra bit of inspiration to my space. Sam Flax has a lot of the Taschen Books up on there website as well as in the store. www.samflaxsouth.com