Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

5.04.2007

Style Library



Above, decorator Charlotte Moss in her private study, as seen in House & Garden.

Above, Moss's hand-bound volumes of Vogue, photographed by New York Social Diary.

Below, 1960s "It Girl," Penelope Tree, photographed by David Bailey for Vogue, February 1969.






Decorator Charlotte Moss has always said fashion informs her work. Her own shelves are filled with vintage Vogue magazines, bound in chic red leather, and she has a vast collection of books related to cultural history. A library in one of her homes has walls covered with fashion sketches and photographs of icons including Grace Kelly, Elsie de Wolfe, Babe Paley and Josephine Baker. "They inspire me so much, in a way I can't explain," Moss told House & Garden.

Inspired by Moss, I spent some time recently browsing the style archives at Paper Pursuits. Those Vogue covers from the 1960s feel more graphic and fresh than today's covers -- is this just because they are new to me? As I mentioned the other day, Paper Pursuits offers not only rare issues of Vogue and Harper's Bazaar (priced from around $12 to $115) but also single magazine pages in PDF format ($10 for the first page, $15 for two pages and $5 for additional pages.) I couldn't resist ordering the "hippie deluxe" pictures above; the Indian textiles attracted me, and the tear sheets could be fun on an inspiration board.

BTW: Paper Pursuits has excellent customer service.

7 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

I love the images that you purchased- very glamorous boho! And colorful too!

style court said...

Thanks POC!

ChiliLady said...

Hey. your blog is very interesting! can we link our blogs? please write back in my blog "everyday glamour" ( theres a shoutbox) or better- leave a comment, so I have your link!
This would be nice!

teaorwine said...

I love Charlotte Moss's style and cannot wait to visit her new store in NYC!

R0CKY said...

brilliant! love looking thru your tears, especially when you pull from the past. they are often surprisingly inspiring and refreshing.

style court said...

Thanks Rocky!

Gypsy Purple said...

Please see my blog, for a mention of this fabulous post...