Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

4.09.2007

Elliott Puckette Again


Above, Elliott Puckette's Untitled (Red) (PKE 4639), 1999 Edition 41/79 Lithograph from one plate printed on 250 GR. For more information contact Earl McGrath Gallery.



Above, Francois Halard's photographs of Puckette and her children, and their Brooklyn home, for American Vogue, May 2003. Below, Puckette's husband, Hugo Guinness, designed the 2007 poppy totes for Kate Spade.



Sometimes I sift through the sea of tear sheets I’ve accumulated over the years to look for reoccurring themes -- a color, pattern, or style of furniture that emerges again and again, despite changing trends. Occasionally, artists reappear on these pages; one is painter Elliott Puckette. In the 1990s I was drawn to her work, described by Neville Wakefield in Elle Décor, August/September 1996, as "rococo minimalism." Years later, I was attracted to her Brooklyn townhouse when it appeared in Vogue and Elle Décor. I loved all the abstract florals around -- a bit in fabrics and a lot in the pen and ink drawings of Puckette's husband, Hugo Guinness. This season those abstract poppies are available on Kate Spade totes.

(I hope the Puckette-Guinness home will be included in the upcoming Hamish Bowles book, Vogue Living: Houses, Gardens, People.)

6 comments:

Janet said...

Ooooh, Elliott Puckette is one of my favorite contemporary artists ~ and I so enjoyed her house when I saw it in Elle Decor. Your post made me go running for my back issues!

style court said...

Janet, glad to hear from another Puckette fan :)

The Peak of Chic said...

I love Puckette's work, and that of her husband too! She's done well for a small-town Tennessee girl!

style court said...

Yes, she has!

jen said...

that living room is gorgeous - i love the unconventional placement of furniture!

Jane said...

I think the Fall 2006 issue of Vogue Living also featured her. I'll have to check my clippings...