Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

3.14.2007

French Gardens



Above, the Orangerie at Versailles; Below, I love classic Versailles style box planters like this one sold by Mecox Gardens.




I spotted this beautiful book, Jardin De La Malmaison, in Anthropologie and thought it would be a perfect Mother's Day gift -- for a mom who is passionate about gardening or interested in Malmaison. Unfortunately, it is pricey; depending on where you buy it, the book retails from about $120 to $180.

For a smaller $35 fee, the High Museum of Art is offering a seminar on French landscape design and decorative arts, this Saturday, March 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon. The House of Bourbon: Exploring the Tastes of the French Monarchy, will be led by French historian Dr. William Beik of Emory University. Landscape designer, Christian Duvernois, will also discuss the gardens of Versailles. Pre-registration is required and check-in is at 9 a.m. I'm disappointed I have to miss this event. The first three in the series have been great -- especially the talks with Caroline Weber and Joan DeJean.

7 comments:

My Marrakech said...

Oh Versailles! It is so crazily swoon worthy.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog - it reminds me of my own former blog, but is even more stylish! I am debating going to the lecture at the High. It sounds interesting, but is it really worth it to get up so early on a Sat morning for a slide show? I'd love to know your thoughts.... thanks!

style court said...

Hi Anon,
Thanks for your kind words! The last two speakers I heard at the High were worth the effort but I have to say I've never heard these men scheduled for Sat. I'm sure the event will be interesting though. If I were free I'd be going :)

The Peak of Chic said...

I had wanted to go to this, but alas, was on a plane from San Fran. Sounded interesting, though.

R* said...

the gardens of versailles are so photo-worthy!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know that I did not go to the lecture after all. Although we are members of the High it still would've cost my boyfriend and I $60 to go. I'm just going to put that toward my Paris vacation fund! But FYI there will be a free lecture on the bust of Marie Antoinette - that I will surely attend. Thanks again!
-La Dauphine, nee Christina

style court said...

Christina,
Sounds like a great plan!