Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.16.2007

Cushy Lifestyle



Above, designer Karla Stevens brings old school East coast elegance and practicality to California with her showroom, Patio Culture, which specializes in colorful, custom outdoor cushions. When you see one of Karla's cheerfully stylish vignettes, you almost expect Doris Day to enter at any moment. But the vibe at Patio Culture is definitely current. Don't miss the stunning images on Karla's site.



A friendly reader sent me the image above of Kate and Andy Spade's weekend cottage patio, as seen on Oprah. In designing the outdoor area, Kate said she was inspired by a 1950s-era photograph of a Beverly Hills home with alternating brightly colored cushions.

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

Love it! I also love patios, they are so 50s! I am convinced I was born way too late.

Bronwen said...

Absolutely love pink and green used together. This house and patio reminds me of a place in the Hamptons!

Mim said...

What a peaceful picture! I can imagine ladies in their 50's skirts having afternoon tea with lots of young children playing in the grass :)

I currently have this blog listed as a favourite of mine on my blog. Would you mind if I added you as a friend?

Avril said...

Love it! Wouldn't it be beautiful to spend a weekend away here?

style court said...

Of course Mim, I'm flattered. Thanks for your comments :)
Courtney

The Peak of Chic said...

Love the cushions. I think that Beverly Hills home that inspired Kate Spade was from the first (?) Slim Aarons book. Is that right? Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of it.

style court said...

POC, I think you're right but I'm not absolutely positive. I believe it was a picture of the Robert Evans home.