Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

2.11.2007

Carolyn Quartermaine




Sumptuous and amazing are words that can be used a bit too liberally, but in describing Carolyn Quartermaine's work, these words truly fit. Known for her brilliant use of color, Quartermaine is an artist, fabric designer and stylist who has worked on projects for Hermes, Vogue Living, Louis Vuitton, Sketch Restaurants and Manuel Canovas. In her work, stark white interiors are often the backdrop for opulent French 18th-century pieces and sensuous silks. Louis XV chairs are used like sculpture in modernist settings.

Her lavish 1997 book, Carolyn Quatermaine Revealed, shows how she uses her London flat as an ever-changing design laboratory. Both the photography and the text are excellent. The book is becoming harder to find, but it is a great source of inspiration for stylists, event planners and design students.

Speaking of "Versailles Meets Modern," Marie Antoinette will be released on DVD February 13. One of the included bonus features is "Cribs with Louis XVI." I'm curious to check it out.

All images above Carolyn Quartermaine

6 comments:

The Peak of Chic said...

Beautiful, and inspiring, photos!

casapinka said...

I would love to see that book!

Fairfax said...

I would KILL to be able to paint and draw like Caroline. They're just wonderful pictures.

kim. said...

Beautiful photos!

Alyssa said...

Super pics. I am a sucker for gold & pink!

Anna said...

Courtney, one of the first jobs I ever did was a bedroom in Carolyn Quartermaine's beautiful script silks. It was amazing and I do believe the client still has some of the pieces I did for her in the same fabric which would have been about 8 years ago and considering silk just doesn't last here in Aus with our hot sun I think it has done very well. It was a dream job for me at the ripe old age of 21 and something I will always remember doing. I love her fabrics so much but I haven't had the opportunity to use them since this job 8 years ago. Beautiful post and thanks for bringing back some fond memories!!