Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

12.11.2006

Michael Smith



Last December I was fortunate to attend an informal talk given by designer Michael Smith Since then, my copy of Michael Smith Elements of Style has seen a lot of use but I'm doing my best to preserve the book jacket because I think it's so beautiful.

Inside the book, the caption for the image used on the cover reads "Chinoiserie Dream." Soapstone pagodas, flowering branches in a Chinese vase, and vintage chinoiserie wallpaper are a few of the Asian elements that comprise the vignette.

For authentic China chic -- Imperial yellows and intense reds -- and more design inspiration, Smith recommends the films The Last Emperor and House of the Red Lantern. I'm familiar with Raise the Red Lantern but I can't find House of the Red Lantern anywhere.

No comments: