Style Court

Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes 2006-2016

5.17.2006

Brunschwig & Fils' Dzhambul




This colorful linen-and-cotton Brunschwig & Fils' print first caught my eye last year as I flipped through Domino's premiere issue (the editors' used it to cover a pouf). I think it was the punchy mix of aqua, orange and raspberry, and the suzani-inspired design that drew me in.


Note the similarities to the late-19th-century Bukhara suzani in Doris Duke's collection? Densely embroidered coverlets like this were historically made by Central Asian women, and Duke became enamored with the textiles while circumventing the globe in the 1930s. More on Duke's many suzanis to follow in an upcoming post...

10 comments:

Sylvie said...

I can see we have very similar taste. I too fell for this fabric, and it's uncanny how close your color palette is to the recent room that I did. Can I share your room on my blog?

style court said...

Sylvie has an amazing eye and a great talent for mixing pieces. Check out her style as featured today on http://designsponge.blogspot.com. So lovely!

style court said...

Syllvie,
Absolutely! Use whatever you want. I hope to have better photos posted in the
next few days. Thanks so much for your comment. May I post a link to your blog with a photo of your work?

Anonymous said...

I'm moving into my first home, so I have a blank canvas as far as decorating and color choices. I'm starting with handmedown apt. college age typical furnishings. I stumbled on this Style Court and I just wanted to say how inspirational this site is, I LOVE these photos, blows my initial ideas out of the water, I just had to comment, so wonderful!

style court said...

Anon,
Thanks so much for taking time to comment! It's wonderful to get the feedback. Congrats on your new home. How exciting!

Happy decorating,
Courtney

Revival Home & Garden said...

I realize this posting is from a gazillion years ago, but do you know the colorway of this fabric that you've shown here? I'm trying to avoid having to go to the showroom to hunt it down... Many thanks!

Style Court said...

Hi Revival,

you know back when I ordered a couple of yards I think it was described as "multi." Unfortunately I don't have anything left with exposed selvedge to read, and can't find details in the magazines. Now BF offers it in more colorways shown on their site.

sorry to be of little help!

Style Court said...

Right now Fabrics and Home describes it as RASBERRY/ORANGE but that may be their own color coding.

Style Court said...

http://fabricsandhome.com/fabricdetails.asp?ID=6798

Revival Home & Garden said...

Fabulous! Thanks for your help...this will at least give me something more to go on when I call to get a sample.