Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.17.2014

Slice of Life


This little tidbit should come as great news to readers in the UK but Matisse fans everywhere else will have to be patient: Tickets are now on sale for Matisse Live from Tate Modern, a special 90-minute film to be broadcast in theaters (cinemas, if you prefer the regional parlance) throughout Britain and Northern Ireland on June 3rd. The screening will offer viewers a virtual tour of Tate's monumental exhibition, Henri Matisse: The Cut-Outs, but also provide a peek at the mounting of the museum's new show and a look at less frequently seen footage of the artist in his studio.

If similar happenings are planned by MoMA, when the show travels to NYC in the fall, I'll keep you posted.

Shown above is the hardcover exhibition catalog sold by Tate with the iconic Blue Nude on the front; the book should become available in the U.S. end of May

5 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I remember being little and having a book with The Dance on my parents coffee table in the living room focussed on Matisse's work. Thank you for your inspiring posts, for me there is always a connection.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I remember being little and having a book with The Dance on my parents coffee table in the living room focussed on Matisse's work. Thank you for your inspiring posts, for me there is always a connection.

Style Court said...

Thanks for sharing the memory, Laura. Love it.

penelopebianchi said...

I have always loved the works of Matisse!

Why wouldn't this just be open to everyone to see on their computer; or other kind of screen?
I think the more people can see things like this the better!

I am missing some important component here!

Is it money? Couldn't they charge??

I just don't get it!

Thank you for your lovely post!!

Penelope

Style Court said...

I think the idea is that the film will have a lot of impact on the big screen and Tate is creating an interesting group happening by doing it this way.

It's an exciting thing for a museum to try. Perhaps afterward it will be shown online. Fingers crossed!