Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

4.25.2014

Peacocking

[Image is from Fleur Wood's Food, Fashion, Friends.]
Were the chair's woven, serpentine sides designed specifically to have limbs draped over them? Art historians can't say for certain. But while researching this story for Off Duty, I did learn a bit about what the scholars do know to be true of Southeast Asian-style peacock chairs -- and why interior designers including Tom Scheerer like the not-so-shy seats. (I also think I inadvertently frightened the cable guy who saw splashed across my computer screen a shocking number of celebs perched in peacocks, as I worked on my piece.)


If you're drawn to them too, check out the WSJ this weekend, in print or online. Btw, the great shot above is by Chris Court from Sibella Court's latest book, Gypsy.  

10 comments:

Lisa Hjalt said...

Just read the article and very much enjoyed it. I loved the photo of Loretta Young.

I need to get a copy of Sibella Court's book, I have seen too many tempting images already!

Style Court said...

Thanks, Lisa ! I do think you'll like Sibella's book.

Lee Kleinhelter said...

Thank you so much for including! Great article! You are such a talented writer! xoxoxo

Style Court said...

Thanks so much, Lee!!

home before dark said...

Lovely to see your insightful writing in the WSJ. You are such as old soul. I say that because I'm 64 and in my first apartment I had two of these chairs. That was in 1972! I sold them when my 6'5" boyfriend became my husband. He HATED these chairs. Wish I had them now. Still have the husband!

ps Thought of you when I read Social Diary story on Robshaw. Still laughing about the comment that in the beginning he hired older print makers whose gads were wobbly so that the prints wouldn't be perfect!!

Style Court said...

Well, glad you still have the husband! A pair must have been very chic and au currant in your apt.

Thanks for reading. I'll have to check out the SD story on Robshaw...

Style Court said...

HBD (Patricia),

Did you have the coordinating little hourglass stool/table?

home before dark said...

SC, I didn't have the tables. The chairs were so commanding that it seemed like overkill at the time. I did, however, have a jungle of house plants. Nary a one today since I have a garden. It's much easier to grow "trees" outside!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I remember my neighbors having a peacock chair in their living room growing up. They had sons the same age roughly as my brother and I and we would always fight over who would get to sit in it when over there playing.

Style Court said...

Stefan: love that image! Should've interviewed you for the story too :)