Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.20.2014

Pattern and Play

[Images via Taschen's Indian Interiors.]

In my next life I'm living Blue-Lagoon-style, on a remote tropical island. But for the design of my hut, I'm mixing up the cultural influences and drawing inspiration from the lace-like floral rice-paste wall paintings traditionally done by the women of Orissa (today this east coast Indian state is known as Odisha).




And the hut will need a living room swing patterned after this one at Amet Haveli in Udaipur.

Speaking of waterfront living, don't forget Gauguin: Metamorphoses on view at MoMA through June 8.

1 comment:

andrea said...

Those patterns inspired one of my upcoming designs! So perfect in their balance of detail and graphic boldness.