Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.15.2014

Orchid Days

[First two photos my own, taken at the ABG.]



I've become a little obsessed with these hanging Vanda orchids at Terrain.


I keep picturing several suspended from the top of my four-poster bed. How cool it would look. But how impractical, too. You know, the watering and all. I think these are intended to be hung in a less precarious place. Another way to let the roots run wild is with airy, net-like pots -- something I learned about doing research for this weekend's WSJ story. (I also discovered how one legendary horticulturist unconventionally arranged her orchid pots en masse.)  


If you're in the mood to see some exotic blooms in living color, check out these orchid happenings: 

Orchid Daze just opened at the Atlanta Botanical Garden and continues through mid-April.

Kew's Orchids 2014: A Plant Hunter's Paradise runs through March 9.

The Orchid Show: Key West Contemporary opens at The New York Botanical Garden March 1.

The San Francisco Orchid Society hosts the Pacific Orchid Expo February 20-23.

The U.S. Botanic Garden Orchid Symphony takes place February 22 through April 27.

4 comments:

Enzie Shahmiri Portraits and Fine Art said...

I love orchids and often buy them from Trader Joe's. They have great prices there and a high variety! I am a new follower via Bloglovin and hope that you follow my blog Notably Wonderful www.EnzieShahmiri.com/blog as well.

Enzie

Robyn said...

Of course I love your orchid photos and post! Hope you're well! :)

Style Court said...

Thank you, Robyn! Hope you're having a great weekend :)

Style Court said...

Thanks so much, Enzie