Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.03.2013

Coming Soon: A Cover Story


For the next few days I expect to have my eyes fixed on the pages of The Met's new exhibition catalogue, Interwoven Globe: The Worldwide Textile Trade, 1500–1800. The stunning copy I pre-ordered arrived today and as anticipated it's filled with remarkable pieces from across the continents. When I finally get my face out of the book and post a review, I'll share a bit about why an image of a mid-18th-century blue-resist cotton was chosen for the cover. The fabric, now believed to have been block-printed and resist-dyed in India for the West, has an indirect connection to a similar printed cloth Matisse incorporated into more than one of his paintings.

1 comment:

Lisa Hjalt said...

I still haven't read your more recent post on your new book but this one sounds and looks so interesting. The book design is beautiful.

I think I may have to add this one to my ever growing wish list!