Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

5.04.2013

Friends of the Arts


Come Monday night I'll be over at The Met's site, watching Vogue's live stream of The Met Gala Red Carpet. Obviously I'm curious to see the clothes and, hopefully, a bit of this year's Costume Institute show, Punk: Chaos to Couture, but exhibition openings also make me think about all the work that's gone on behind the scenes -- the efforts of the curators, institutional staff and volunteers.

At the moment, I'm researching museum support groups around the country: comparing and contrasting the demographics of various groups and the accessibility, in terms of cost, of membership. (I know first hand how rewarding it can be to get involved with a museum's education department.) Architect John Tackett, aka The Devoted Classicist, has been sharing with me his experiences as President of the Board of Directors of Decorative Arts Trust at Memphis Brooks (more on his group will be posted shortly). If you're also involved with an interesting "Friends of" group, I'd love to hear from you too.

No comments: