Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.07.2012

Oxford and Cloth

[Above, Erica Tanov's Clematis, an embroidered Indian cotton voile, $35 per yard, and below her cotton Porter Stripe seersucker, $15 per yard.]


An association with a humid clime was the only link I had in mind when I combined the subjects in this post. I'm hoping you can sense the paddle fans whirling and feel a tall iced drink in your hand. As explained here last year, Erica Tanov offers in her webshop fabrics from past collections; some are original Tanov-designed patterns but you'll also spot more tailored stripes, checks, and solids. Although originally created for fashion, I'm feeling the embroidered voile, Clematis, for summery bed curtains.  Porter Stripe caught my eye because I love a seersucker in a not-so-baby-ish hue. 

[Hayley Gaberlavage, Beauregard, acrylic on paper.]

Now to steamy NOLA's Magazine Street. The characters who dwell there inform artist Hayley Gaberlavage work. Remember the peek inside her studio back in 2009? I was happy to learn that Oxford American selected Gaberlavage as one of 100 under 100: Superstars of Southern Art. I smiled when I spied Stacy Lynn Waddell on the list, too. More here.

No comments: