Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.18.2012

Blossom

[Photo my own]

Driving around Atlanta this weekend, it appeared as if many of our flowering trees were peaking, but I haven't fact checked it. What I did consult is a National Cherry Blossom Festival news feed; as of today, the D.C. trees are predicted to peak March 20 through 23.


The dates for a related NGA exhibition I mentioned back in January -- Colorful Realm, a landmark show featuring the treasured 30-scroll set of flora and fauna paintings by 18th-century artist Itō Jakuchū -- remain the same, March 30 through April 29. A friend in the know tells me that people are traveling from across the globe to see the scrolls because the works are rarely exhibited in Japan and the set has never before been shown in its entirety outside of the country. The unprecedented display was organized to celebrate 100 years since Japan’s massive gift of cherry trees to the U.S.  I've also been told the new exhibition catalogue is gorgeous. If you'd like to buy a copy in support of the NGA, the books are now available through the museum gift shop.

Fun Fact: Peter Max was chosen Official Artist for the National Cherry Blossom Festival Centennial Celebration. See the poster here.

6 comments:

Tokyo Jinja said...

I can't believe it - the winter has been so cold here that our trees aren't due to open until April!!! Hope you are enjoying what looks to be a lovely showing!

Style Court said...

Jacqueline -- I am! Yours should be spectacular though, in April, no?

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Such a pretty photograph Courtney! I hope you had a nice weekend. I'd love to see a copy of that book, I am sure it's beautiful!

Style Court said...

Thank you, Laura!

I'm sure the blooms in NC are looking pretty amazing. Hope you enjoyed the weekend too!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Due to the different varieties -we've been enjoying cherry blossoms for about a week or more now! Cleveland Park is ablaze with cherry blossoms and the streets are so pretty. Yesteday it just RAINED pink walking down the street.

Style Court said...

Stefan -- LOVE your imagery. Raining pink.