Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

3.22.2012

Blossoms Continued

 [Photo my own]

That hundred-year-old embroidered Turkish pillow I posted earlier this month -- the one from Dunham Massey with the bold, stylized floral -- is among the most striking things I've seen in a while. But, admittedly, I have a weakness for stylized interpretations of botanicals: patterns like the Textile Museum's fragment pictured above,  a colorful 17th or 18th-century piece featured on the cover of Flowers of Silk & Gold: Four Centuries of Ottoman Embroidery. No surprise then, I was excited to learn that the Museum's major fall 2012 exhibition will focus on stylized honeysuckles, roses, rosebuds, tulips, carnations, and hyacinths created by 16th-century Ottoman court artist, Kara Memi. Learn about the show, The Sultan's Garden: The Blossoming of Ottoman Art, here.


In other textile news, the V & A has already released a few tantalizing preview images of Sonia Ashmore's Muslin. It won't be available until November 2012, but I'm going ahead and adding it to my wishlist. With 900 examples from the V & A's collection as her base, and traveling from India to Europe and the States, Ashmore tells the story of this ultra-fine cotton. Sneak a peek here.

4 comments:

Emile de Bruijn said...

I love the colour combinations and the rhythm of that Textile Museum fragment.

Style Court said...

Rhythm. That's it :)

Janet said...

Tantalizing indeed! It's going on my wish list too. . .

Style Court said...

Janet, with all your globe-trotting you'll probably be able to pick it up in person at the gift shop!