Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.28.2012

RISD Works



Last year I mentioned artist Jill Davis and her luminous hand-blown glass. She creates these wonderful little decanters inspired by the genie's bottle in Arabian Nights. Although intended for perfume, I think the tiny vessels (typically less than four inches tall) are perfect for holding short-stemmed flowers like camellias and gardenias. Truth be told, even weeds look kind of poetic tucked in.

[Photo my own]

Why the redundant post? As part of my ongoing, albeit very sporadic coverage of museum gift shops, I wanted to help spread the word about another retail source for her pieces: RISD Works -- a shop stocked entirely with wares designed and made by Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) alumni and faculty -- offers one of her bottles. Details here.

Davis' bottle in picture two is my own Anthro purchase. No compensation received for the mention.

2 comments:

Ree Childs / Realtor / Shop owner said...

Love it! I adore museum gift shops and can spend lots of time browsing in them. Lovely photo - adore the pink flower in the charming bottle....

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Though I know RISD, I never thought about them having a shop ... wonderful.