Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.06.2012

Looking: Ellsworth Kelly's Organic Side

 [Poster image for The Met's upcoming exhibition: Ellsworth Kelly (American, b. 1923). Wild Grape, 1961. Ink on paper; 22 1/2 x 28 1/2 in. (57.2 x 72.4 cm). Private collection.]

I'm getting way ahead of myself with this one but it's hard to contain my enthusiasm.

[Book cover image via Barnes & Noble]

The first major museum exhibition focused entirely on Ellsworth Kelly's figurative drawings of leaves, flowers, and plants -- departures from the more austere abstract paintings for which he is best known -- opens at the Met June 5. (Although Kelly’s plant drawings were shown at the Met in 1969, in the context of his abstract work, and have been highlighted in many other shows and books since then, these pieces have never before been given a retrospective of their own.)

Compared by Kelly to portraits, the organic studies begin in 1948, when Kelly was in Paris, and span the next six decades. Ellsworth Kelly: Plant Drawings includes about 80 works on paper and will be on view at The Met throughout the summer, closing September 3.

5 comments:

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

Hi Courtney,
A show that will definitely be on my summer list. I have never seen Kelly's plant drawings. Exciting... I adore the book cover!! ox

Style Court said...

Hey Barbara -- I'm in love with the cover image too!

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

Always so surprising to see the floral and plant drawings and paintings by these artists. Personal favorite is Jim Dine. Flowers that are strong rather than sweet. Hope there will be a catalog.

Style Court said...

Linda--love your point about strong not sweet. Strikes a chord with me today.

Emile de Bruijn said...

I didn't know he did these. I suppose he was a bit like Mondrian in that respect: figuration underlying minimalist abstraction.