Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

2.02.2012

Apartment Hunting

 [Photo by James Fennell from The Irish Country House courtesy Vendome Press 2010.]

Today I was over at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, peeking through the Fuqua Orchid Center's glass walls, to catch a glimpse of the soon-to-open hanging orchid installation.

[Screengrab of the Palm House at Kew from this video.]

 [Downton Abbey's Jessica Brown Findlay at Kew in the August 2011 issue of Vogue UK © Jason Bell.]

Our orchid house isn't a Victorian marvel like Kew's Palm House, but it is home to the largest collection of species orchids in the States. Weather permitting, I'm going back this weekend to cover the 10th annual Orchid Daze and hopefully come away with some inspiration for myself.

[Orchid photo my own.]

In the meantime, I'm once again obsessing over that rooftop greenhouse connected to Andie MacDowell's apartment in Green Card. Well, the whole apartment, actually, but mainly the conservatory. (I've got blue-green walls and black-painted French doors but no greenhouse.) I think we're all familiar with conservatories at great old houses, like Huntington Castle in Ireland; rarely, though, do I encounter an apartment with its own greenhouse.

In the blogosphere there are already myriad posts about the Green Card digs. As mentioned earlier, some stand-out images are here and interesting background on the pre-war building can be found here.

Still, here at SC, I'd like to explore the idea of conservatories in older apartment buildings. If you're familiar with a real life example, please share.

5 comments:

Jennifer C. Webb said...

oh, it's been years since I last saw Green Card and that conservatory has been burned in my mind since then! Can't wait to check out the links

Terry said...

Georgia Tech's new Claugh Commins building has a rooftop garden. It's not a green house but it's extraordinary with amazing views. It's Atlanta's High Line and you can go there pretty much any time you pleas. The Clough: Best Stair in Atlanta? Best Roof Garden?

Emile de Bruijn said...

This reminds me of when I was a young boy in Holland in the late 1970s and my mother and her friends all had lots and lots of big and sprawling houseplants - funny how that trend seems to have disappeared without a trace.

HRH The Duchess of State said...

What a wonderful image you planted in my mind dahhling..just the mention of a conservatory makes me happy! though I don't live in an apartment I often dream of coverting the veranda into a conservatory with lattice covered walls & celings!

Janet said...

Courtney, these photographs are divine. Both my orchids seemed to have dropped their flowers within a few days of each other. Perhaps it's time for a trip to the store for a few more. You have inspired me! I loved that conservatory in Greencard.

Emile, indeed. My mother to this day has a house filled with plants. Ficus trees, hanging plants, cactuses. Funny how those trends come and go.