Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.07.2011

Voysey Undone

As a follow up to the Voysey holiday wares, I wanted to highlight several of the late-Victorian/Edwardian era textile designer's drawings and watercolors. The V & A owns examples of his partially colored in designs, and there is something appealing about the denser watercolor strokes contrasted against the spare pencil lines.

Shown above is his design for a cretonne (heavy linen or cotton), The Deer in the Forest, dated 1918. The Museum adapted this one for a Christmas card pictured in the previous post.

Voysey's pencil, black chalk and watercolor on paper -- a design for wallpaper -- dated 1891.


And an incomplete design for a wallpaper or textile featuring a formalized plant with green scalloped foliage and small yellow flowers, 1907. All images above via the V & A.


[Calkin's Ipek Damask via Lewis and Wood.]

If you're drawn to these lines, you might also like the stylized patterns of punk-meets-polish Brit painter and designer, Adam Calkin.

6 comments:

VictoriaArt said...

I love these patterns! So much reminds me of 'Jugendstil' (A.Mucha). And Charles Rennie Mackintosh. They overlapped in their times. I wonder if they ever worked together?
I love the holiday cards, you showed yesterday, as well.

xoxo

Dovecote Decor said...

I agree, the unfinished pencil and watercolor paper designs, give us the impression of a work eternally in progress. I might say that of my office, but it is a less inspiring event.
Best,
Liz

Style Court said...

Liz -- I have a lot of those eternally-in-progress things too!

Victoria -- glad you enjoyed them. I think the V & A has offers info that puts Voysey in context with other designers. The Voysey link should take you to it, if you're interested. Hope that helps!

Shani Gilchrist said...

The wallpaper design with the observing bird is so lovely. What beautiful finds.

Tokyo Jinja said...

I just stumbled across a great antique book of Japanese designs, with the same kind of partially finished and/or colored images. Like you, I love the contrast between the finished and unfinished areas.

Emile de Bruijn said...

Like Dovecote Decor above I think these unfisnished designs really stimulate the imagination - making us want to fill in the gaps.