Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

12.05.2011

Handle It


[Photos directly above and below are my own]


My completed DIY linen-covered trunk will be posted before Christmas, but in the meantime, here's a peek at the one component I did not purchase from a routine hardware or art supply shop: leather handles from Horton Brasses.

Based in Connecticut, Horton has been around since the 1930s and still produces a wide range of authentic reproduction furniture and cabinet hardware. While I didn't need a specific repro for this project, I'm drawn to the heft of their wares. And Horton employs a small team of craftsmen (actually, craftswomen too). Several metalsmiths live and work in West Virginia and Kentucky. Those of you with a penchant for fine hardware might enjoy learning more about the crew. Prefer wrought iron to brass? Horton makes that also.


Of course, once I tune into a certain design element, I start noticing all sorts of examples. Like the graceful handles on this 18th-century English Sheffield plate cup by John Hoyland and Co. from The Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Or the older Greek glass wine cooler/bucket with silver handles -- late Classical or Early Hellenistic period, late 4th–early 3rd century B.C. -- also from The Met.


Egyptian horse handle in ivory, garnet and paint, New Kingdom, reign of Amenhotep III, circa 1390–1353 B.C., again The Met.


And disparate but ingenious handles on a circa 460–450 B.C. terracotta Greek cup. According to The Met, the vertical handle was intended for drinking, while the other allowed the cup to be suspended when not in use.

I received no perks from Horton for mentioning their product.

5 comments:

Mrs. Blandings said...

Waiting, patiently, for the entire trunk, but love the handles (and the horse as well.)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

The fact that the Romans had wine coolers amazes me -and I'm not sure quite why.

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Funny how an experience will reveal other things for us .. like shopping for handles and noticing handles in objects as you well described!

Style Court said...

Stefan -- I know. And I could see this in Elle Decor today!

Patricia -- your enthusiasm is very much appreciated. Thought the horse felt incredibly timeless, too.

Style Court said...

MS -- absolutely.