Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.09.2011

Perfectly Captivating


I'm allowing myself time to really linger over Deborah Needleman's new book, The Perfectly Imperfect Home (in case you're not certain, yes, the Needleman who founded domino -- currently she's at the helm of the WSJ. Magazine as editor in chief). A proper preview will be posted in the next few days, but for now here's a tiny peek at some of Virginia Johnson's many illustrations. Recognize the red-filled room above?


An artist, textile designer, Parson's alum and Toronto native, Johnson has a remarkable ability to capture the most magical aspects of a room. I was happily surprised by the abundance of watercolors included; they partner perfectly with the text.


Back in 2009, Johnson generously shared with me some of her color studies for my Artists' Palettes series. And her splashes of paint still inspire. Take a look here.  


Also of interest: Perfectly Imperfect Screensaver and Paradise Found.

5 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I was just reading through the book last night which is just SO great. I'm meeting her tonight at an event at Room and Board and I can't wait!

Style Court said...

Stefan -- that's great! She's so nice. Have a wonderful time!

Jeff said...

An imperfect home is so much more fun.

ArchitectDesign™ said...

She was SO nice and totally charming! Personable -took 5-10 minutes with each person who waited in line to get their book signed. I'll cherish mine!

Style Court said...

Wow! So generous.