Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

11.21.2011

Combo Packs: Navajo

 [Photo my own]

The graphic Navajo-inspired Beacon print literally blankets Ralph Lauren's 2011 Atlanta holiday window. Watching the stylists at work, I couldn't help thinking of a few more seasonal gift pairings.


All of the textile books pictured above are from the Heard Museum. One little edition, A Guide to Navajo Rugs, is priced just under $6 so it would be a terrific stocking stuffer or pair nicely with a tribal patterned scarf or bag. It's essentially a primer that covers the major Navajo weavings with color illustrations of each style plus a handy glossary.

The other titles range between $25 and $35. Three bundled together would make a special "curated" present for a textile enthusiast, but obviously a single copy would also be great on its own.

Clockwise from the top left:

Spider Woman's Gift

Woven by the Grandmothers

Navajo Saddle Blankets

Navajo Weaving Tradition

A Guide to Navajo Rugs

4 comments:

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Never been much of a fan of Navajo anythings, but these have shed a new light and perhaps I should take a closer look. Thanks for bringing them to the forefront :-)

lifeloveluxe said...

There is something so comforting and homey about Navajo prints. I never thought about using them as holiday decor, but it's a brilliant idea.

www.lifeloveandluxury.com

La Maison Fou said...

Another fav of mine. :)
L.

Linenqueen said...

After a trip to the Washington DC Textile Museum for their Navajo Blanket exhibition I came right home, built a Navajo loom at one end of my living room and commenced weaving. I learned how to make an indigo dye pot, how to card and spin wool and have almost completed weaving a first phase chief blanket. I learned a lot about the Navajo, went to some of the trading posts in Arizona to watch the women weave. My horizons were considerably widened when inspiration struck at the Textile Museum. Thank you for your post. I hope others will find as much to admire about the Navajo weaving as I did. Ann