Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.24.2011

My New Perfectly Imperfect Screensaver


[Photo by Annie Schlechter for Martha Stewart Living, November 2011]

Pretty much everything I love is encapsulated in this picture of Deborah Needleman's Hudson Valley home: the sturdy, kid-friendly, it's-okay-to-put-your-feet-on-it ottoman covered with a vintage suzani; books, including Oberto Gili's Home Sweet Home: Sumptuous and Bohemian Interiors; relaxed people; simple daisies; and an old densely patterned rug. I like the image so much I'm using it as wallpaper on my iPhone, iPad, and computer.

It was an unexpected treat when I opened my November Martha Stewart Living and found a peek inside the WSJ. Magazine editor in chief's house along with an accompanying story by Needleman herself. This issue is definitely a must see.

I'll be back soon with my own thoughts on Needleman's new book, The Perfectly Imperfect Home (illustrated by another SC fave, Virginia Johnson, BTW).



Longtime readers know that I'm a big fan of Doris Duke's suzani collection. Although her old embroidered textiles mainly originated in Uzbekistan (the Bukhara region), she actually picked up nine of them in 1935 while traveling through India as part of her craft-finding-world-tour honeymoon. If she were around today, I think she'd be headed to San Francisco's Asian Art Museum to see Maharaja: The Splendour of India's Royal Courts. I mentioned this exhibition a while back, but now the companion app is available. The Museum has also posted some behind-the-scenes videos here.

[Screengrab, Shangri La Vimeo page]

And as a follow up to the Ridder post, I thought I'd point out that an illustrated Shangri La talk about tile from the Near East can be seen here. On a loosely related note, please stay tuned for a report on the newly opened Peachtree Street Sam Flax.

9 comments:

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Love the peek inside her home as well and I am looking forward to her new book. Love hearing Sam Flax Atlanta is opening, I need one in Charlotte.

TERI REES WANG said...

I could find myself very happy touching any of those textiles.

Cheers! -Teri

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

I understand why you have chosen that fabulous photo as a wallpaper image. Will read MSL November issue. I love the Virginia Johnson illustrations I've seen from Deborah Needleman's new book. I look forward to your review Courtney! Also looking forward to seeing your Guinevere-inspired trunk project. I have so much more catching-up to do here at Style Court. So many good reads!!

Tokyo Jinja said...

Courtney, you know I have always been mad for the Robert Kime ottoman in Carolina Irving's apartment (and am having a similar one made in HK), but this one may even trump it! Now to get my hands on the November MSL issue....we are always at least a week if not more behind the states.

Style Court said...

Baraba and Jacqueline -- thought you'd appreciate this! I know we're kindred spirits when it comes to these ottomans :)

Style Court said...

Teri -- I'd love to touch them as well!

Laura -- maybe you can visit it next time you're coming through town. Thanks, as always, for stopping by.

Emile de Bruijn said...

Yes that ottoman image is a great mixture of stylishness and homeliness - and I can see the classic book on Colefax and Folwer there in one corner, one of my favourites.

Style Court said...

Emile, the book is a favorite of mine, too. Happen to have it within arm's reach as I type this.

Anna Spiro said...

Like you and the other commenters I absolutely love the ottoman. Divine!!

xx
Anna