Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

10.31.2011

Looking Around

 [Morning after Pumpkin Float at Peachtree Heights East Duck Pond. Photo my own.]

Just as the old expression goes, sometimes what you're looking for is right under your nose.

[Inside Oakleaf & Acorn. Photo by Mali Azima for Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles, October 2011.]

For the past few days, I've been working on a DIY upholstered trunk.


[Photos my own.]

Actually, my dad has built a pine trunk to my specifications.


While I, meanwhile, have basically ordered some fabric swatches, studied the hardware options over at Horton Brasses, and looked at a couple hundred pictures of vintage canvas-clad steamer trunks. Great inspiration has come from Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles' October 2011 story about John Rich and his menswear store in Braselton: Oakleaf & Acorn. (Just as some of the best fashion often travels from the street to the runway, fascinating shop owners, artists, and designers are usually seen in local magazines before the nationals: I first got a terrific sense of Ann Mashburn's domestic style via this AH & L story.) Fine details, as well as the overall vibe captured in Mali Azima's photos of Rich's small shop, have fueled my imagination.  

[Image via Imogene + Willie]
 
Several old trunks (from lux to more humble) visible in behind-the-scenes shots of Imogene + Willie, our Nashville neighbor, have inspired me too.

[Photo my own.]

But back to AH & L, with so many acclaimed talents routinely featured in the magazine, I was truly surprised to see my name pop up among some very distinguished Atlantans in the November issue (link to piece coming soon by Jennifer Boles here). On top of that, the lettering on the invitation to a gathering celebrating the story reflects one of my little obsessions (in a positive way). 


In an attempt to live up to the honor, my November posts will incorporate more local fare. Coming this week: the large-scale, have-to-experience-in-person art books available at the relocated Sam Flax, including a title I spied on my third visit to the emporium, The Art of Instruction. In the meantime, don't forget only a few days remain to see Kathryn Kolb's work at Thomas Deans Fine Art's new Miami Circle location.

No comments: