Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.22.2011

Save the Date: Anna Fewster at Charleston

 [Hand-marbled wrappers hold Anna Fewster's letterpress edition of Teddy Macker's poetry.]

[Anna Fewster's Bloomsbury bookplates.]

Looking at the previous string of posts, it's probably not hard to guess I've been preoccupied this week. Cross-hatches and zigzags on early-20th-century textiles (mainly inspired by abstraction, African design, and Indian block prints) have been floating around in my mind.

 [Fewster's Charleston notecards, green. SOLD.]

But while going through the Bloomsbury group image archives over at Charleston, I came across a calendar listing for an upcoming workshop with book artist Anna Fewster that brought me back to paper -- marbled paper.

Although this December 2011 event is not even happening on my side of the Atlantic, I wanted to help spread the word to friends across the pond and globe trekkers.

Fewster has spent years studying both the visual and literary aspects of the avant-garde books created by the Bloomsbury group at the Hogarth Press and the Omega Workshops. While earning her doctorate, she actually had a workspace in Vanessa Bell’s studio, as well as unlimited access to Charleston's collection. (Maybe you saw her work in Vogue, a while back?) When she leads the Paper Marbling workshop on Thursday, December 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Fewster will teach the traditional method of floating watercolor paints on carrageenan. Inspiration will come from Quentin Bell’s marbled designs and participants will make an array of papers for collage, holiday cards, bookbinding, or whatever appeals.

Using Farrow & Ball wallpapers and paints, another well-known artist, Sophie Coryndon, will guide participants in creating holiday birds and other ornaments on Thursday, December 8 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Click here for details.

6 comments:

The Devoted Classicist said...

I love marbled paper, especially the sort in the first image.

Emile de Bruijn said...

I thought 'Bloomsbury' before I read the caption! Funny how their artistic experiments now look like a style, or even a brand.

There is a nice book just out featuring Farrow & Ball colours, by Ros Byam-Shaw. Normally I don't like 'corporate' decoration books, but in this case Byam-Shaw's selection is really yummy.

Style Court said...

John,

Saw some new offerings in the art supply shop the other day but I just wish I could participate in the workshop!

Emile,

Good eye! And thanks for the book tip.

My Dog-Eared Pages said...

Hi Courtney! I love Ann Fewster's bookplates and their African/Indian influences. Wonderful post. Too bad the workshops are across the pond. Sounds like so much fun. ; )

Style Court said...

Barbara --

So wish we could participate in the whole series :)

Sunday Taylor said...

I love Anna Fewster's work. I read about it in Vogue a while back and looked her up. I love that she stayed at Charleston and learned her book making skills. The Hogarth Press printed and published such beautiful and original books. I would love to go to her class in December. I'm so happy you posted this because it reminds me that I would love to order some of her cards. I am am going to Charleston when I visit London soon. It will be my second time. I think you would love it, if you haven't already gone. Thanks for all these fabulous posts on one of my favorite topics!