Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.10.2011

Creative Voices from L.A. to the U.K.

 [Redondo by Zach, age 13, 2011, Archival Pigment Print, 8.5″ x 11″ unframed. Edition of 5. Pablove Shutterbugs.]

Probably several times a day when I pass by Beautiful Plant, my Pablove Shutterbugs Graduation Show purchase, I subconsciously think about the very young student who created the work.

 [Bench spotted in Virginia Highland. Photo my own.]

And when the swirling arm of an old iron bench catches my eye, sometimes I'm reminded of Nathan's wonderfully mysterious image.


 [Swirls by Nathan, age 7, 2011, Archival Pigment Print, 8.5″ x 11″ unframed. Edition of 5. Pablove Shutterbugs.]


But two current, completely unrelated happenings have pushed all the Pablove photogs to the forefront of my mind: Atlanta Celebrates Photography (a citywide festival of fine art photography which historically kicks into high gear at the very end of September but this year has already begun with events at Emily Amy Gallery and Jennifer Schwartz Gallery -- just to name two sites) and National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.


As mentioned a while back, Pablove Shutterbugs is an innovative program that offers pediatric cancer patients a chance to really find (or hone) their creative voice; participants receive eight weeks of photography instruction and mentoring as well as camera equipment. Check out Zach and Jordan, and Briana, at work with their mentors. If you're an L.A. or N.Y.-based photographer interested in becoming a volunteer mentor for a future session, click here.

 [Poppy photo my own. Visit Aleta for details.]


[Detail of bedroom photography by Christopher Simon Sykes, The World of Interiors; on the cover, Jasper Conran's amazing, jaw-droppingly beautiful Ven House photographed by Tim Beddow.]

I've just been assuming that Beautiful Plant by seven-year-old Monserrath captures a succulent. What I can identify with certainty is the stylized blossom in Brigitte Singh's iconic hand-block-printed fabric -- the poppy. As far as I know, the latest sighting of her Poppy is in The World of Interiors, October 2011: used for lovely curtains in antiques dealer Christopher Gibbs's stunning digs.

[Photography by Alexandre Belhache.]
Flowery, Indian-inspired French toile makes a surprising appearance in WoI's piece about Napolean's campaign tents and the museum at Chateau de Fontainebleau. Since I collect images of old tools and paintboxes, the page above caught my attention; it's actually a leather-lined mahogany necessaire de voyage brimming with travel staples. Pick up the October issue to read Valerie Lapierre's fascinating story.

Click here for more toile, and here for a different sort of floral tent.  Learn about St. Jude's Children's hospital here.

2 comments:

Emile de Bruijn said...

Yes that fabric on the inside of Napoleon's tent is surprisingly floral, but I suppose it added to the drama of the imperial presence, and of course it is tempered by the no-nonsense simplicity of the furniture. And interesting to see Napoleon's characteristic hat and coat in the same article - he was obviously a master of branding.

Style Court said...

Emile --

I love the contrast of the dense print with the spare, masculine campaign pieces. And the coat and hat -- it is like branding! Now I'll think that whenever I see his clothes :)

For those who haven't seen WOI yet, or aren't familiar with the tent, I should have added that the floral lines the interior. The outside is a terrific stripe.