Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

9.19.2011

Cover Stories: Bloomsbury, Rose, and Burnham

[Image via Barnes & Noble]

I've got a pretty enormous stack of fresh reading material to tackle this week (Emmanuelle Gaillard's Exotic Taste is even more beautiful than I expected, by the way), so I'm not sure what possessed me to revisit books from 2009. But I had to pause and linger over the Courtauld's exhibition catalogue cover, above. The Omega Workshops Pamela printed linen chosen for the hardcover version of Beyond Bloomsbury, mentioned in this earlier post, has that striking Vanessa Bell/Duncan Grant palette of lavender, orange and blue. (See a range of Bell's fabrics over at the V & A.)

Another older book related to 20th-century design, Muriel Rose: A Modern Crafts Legacy, grabbed my attention, too. In the 1930s, at her Little Gallery in London, Rose exhibited the block-printed textiles of  Phyllis Barron and Dorothy Larcher (spotlighted in the previous post) as well as work by other English craftswomen and men. The Crafts Study Centre notes that Rose also favored pieces from India, Europe, and South America. 

[Book available at Crafts Study Centre]

If the tribal aesthetic highlighted in this recent post -- or, more specifically, this older one -- appeals to you, I think you'll appreciate Betsy Burnham's Pendleton blanket find for Elle Decor. I definitely did.

No comments: