Style Court

Nine Years of Textiles, Art History, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

8.07.2011

Living with Scarves


Have you ever seen Horst's photograph of Jackie O's circa 1973 library pillows made from Liberty silk scrarves? Or the lacquered scarves on her sister Lee Radziwell's dining room walls? Maybe Ivanka Trump's more recent framed scarf rings a bell?

Amelia Thorpe's terrific piece about scarves (the fashion accessory and the new Thames & Hudson book by Nicky Albrechtsen and Fola Solanke) in Selvedge, issue 41, got me revisiting these past posts. I love the idea of decorating with scarves but at the moment don't have a great spot for a framed one (or space for another pillow). A commitment-free alternative would be to use the incredibly graphic hardcover Scarves as a jumping off point for a fresh desktop tablescape: in short, style and substance. With coverage of major textile designers and artists, in addition to fashion designers, manufacturers, related museums, and dealers, the 300-plus-page edition is a helpful resource to have on hand. Peek inside here.

6 comments:

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

Love this article...I adore scarf's. I live in Boston right downstairs is Hermes and around the corner is Armani. I have been collected scarf's for many years. And using them in my design work. For pillows and hanging artwork. I also use them as many different fashion statement.

I also adored your article yesterday.

Stay cool in one of my favorite cities.

Style Court said...

Maureen --

How inspirational to have Hermes so close by!

Happy you liked the other post. Very kind of you to mention it. Thanks!

The Devoted Classicist said...

I have some "Hermes" scarves bought on the street years ago that I plan to have laminated as Vans sneakers.

Style Court said...

John -- I'm intrigued! Sounds like a great project.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

A friend just brought home scarves from India. They are beautiful. Great idea to decorate a room with scarves.

Style Court said...

Taylor -- I bet they're gorgeous.