Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.15.2011

Summer Mood II


[Chair at top via City Issue; lantern from Anthropologie; table linens from Aleta and picnic basket from Target.]

I'm crazy about this vintage chair from locally-owned City Issue. For me, it's all about the leather straps. On one hand, it makes me think of the "warmer side of Modern." Two weeks ago, in her presentation about the High's new show, Modern by Design,  Juliet Kinchin talked about the mid-20th-century shift from harder-edged chrome to earthier materials. (Video of Kinchin here.)

But the chair is also a cousin to older, very chic and portable campaign pieces. Unfortunately I don't have an extra inch to spare for a new chair (even a folding one). If you have room, though, you can learn more about it here.

Whether City Issue's find conjures images of Colonial Brits or outdoor concerts in the U.S., I've got two related reminders: Birmingham Museum of Art's must-see summer exhibitions, Who Shot Rock & Roll: A Photographic History, 1955 to the Present and Faces of India. The latter just opened and Rock debuts June 24. Click here for more on all the accompanying events.

6 comments:

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Love the post! Campaign style has such an interesting history with a lot of fabulous styles!
I love your blog!
Have a great rest of the week!
Jamie Herzlinger

Style Court said...

Thanks Jamie! You too.

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Who can I get to go glamping with me? This post only reminds me the outdoors can be done in style!

Style Court said...

I want to go glamping!

Style Court said...

Speaking of glamping, check out Met educator Edie Watts speaking about bugs in the museum's collection:

http://www.metmuseum.org/connections/bugs/#/Complete/

Janet said...

There is never enough room for chairs!