Style Court

Eight Years of Textiles, History, Art, Gardens, and a Little Mental Traveling with Courtney Barnes

6.21.2011

Project Season

[Image my own.]

For me, project season officially began yesterday. No tables this summer -- not enough space. Although, I've been reading about Lee Krasner's improvisational mosaic tables composed of shells, costume jewelry, glass, coins, pebbles and keys.

 [Photo by Matthew Hranek, styling by Helen Crowther, Town & Country, December 2010.]

And I've been revisiting Steven Gambrel's custom, collage-like, marbled-paper-covered sawhorse desks from the Designer Visions Cinema Style apartment. (Last year, at the request of Town & Country, Gambrel imagined a 21st-century art-filled home for characters in the 1990s movie, Six Degrees of Separation -- art dealer Flan Kittredge and his wife, Ouisa.) Avoiding predictable sofas, Gambrel placed two large twin tables in the living room because he pictured the couple spending their time spreading out big books, reading, working and dining. If I had not finished my own table before I saw Gambrel's design, I would've been tempted to try layers of paper.

You can see full views of Gambrel's tables, along with his mammoth custom bulletin board, in the December 2010 issue of T & C, via the showhouse virtual tour, or at the designer's site in the press section. Visit Paper Mojo to see marbled options available this summer.   

7 comments:

kayce hughes said...

Loving your faux bamboo chair.

Style Court said...

Thanks, Kayce!

The Devoted Classicist said...

I love the Florentine marble papers that look like stone -- and your chair!

Style Court said...

John -- I love the stone-like ones too. So glad you like the chair.

Mrs. Blandings said...

Also loving the chair - and the stripe!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I remember that tabletop so well, it's in my clipping files too! Gambrel is a genius. I always thought it would be a great way to finish off an inexpensive parsons table from IKEA or west elm. Hmm -I was thinking of adding a console to my apartment behind the couch -maybe this is it!

Style Court said...

Patricia, Stefan -- kindred spirits!

And Stefan, I hope you go for it! I did think of your marbled paper box when I posted this :)